file primitive test suite.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Nov 16 07:56:13 UTC 2001

Attached is a SUnit to test (somewhat) the file primitives.

On the mac it fails testFileCreateAndSeekLargeFiles when the file
size gets close to 2GB, why this happens I'm not exactly sure, we
move the file position to 0x7FFFFFFE then ask for it back and are
told it is invalid. Mind I recall somewhere many years ago a mumble
about how files on HFS aren't 0x7FFFFFFF, just a tad under that value.

To run this you must have > 2GB of free disk space and have SUnit 3.0
installed via a currently updated image, there were a few minor
changes between Sunits 2.0 and 3.x that prevent this from running in
an sunit 2.0 environment.

WARNING

It attempts to create a directory called A and
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  and files A.txt and
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.txt in the same directory as your image, it
also attempts to delete these files and folders so if you have a
folder called 'A' etc in your Squeak image directory you should be
*very* careful. We only attempt to delete files/folders matching
those four names in the working directory, so be careful.

If possible could I get a variety of VM's (windows, unix?) to run
this and report the results?

Note this only tests some basic behavior, there still is more work
involved to test valid and invalid situations for the primitives. It
also doesn't really cover test the classes say like
StandardFileStream to see if they behave as we *think* they should?

Oh and if you find other failures, then I suspect you'll need to let
me know and hopefully provide a solution.