VMMaker further enhancements?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Nov 17 15:05:47 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 09:30:32PM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> I always had this vague idea that VMMaker ought to be able to assemble
> the makefile (or at least the core part of it) since clearly we know
> which files we are putting where etc. Does anyone have any good
> suggestions for implementation?

I started some work a while back on a "make" for Squeak, to go along
with VMMaker. It's been on the back burner due to lack of time.

I think that generating a makefile is a lot of work for nothing. It's
going to be easier to do the "make" function in Squeak directly.

Overall, I think the "make rule" part of the problem is fairly
straightforward, but a replacement for "configure" would be quite a
piece of work.

Dave