file primitive test suite

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Nov 17 17:55:23 UTC 2001

Some testing showed a problem under OS-X which I believe is Unix
related and I think I know the answer however I'll ask here to
confirm things. Also hoping to get some more feedback on testing?

The issue is that 2 tests fail under OS-X which is based on BSD unix
because I believe it's ok to delete a file even if it is open. Under
OS-9 the delete fails because the file is open. However I suspect
that Unix allows you to delete an open file without complaints.

However if this true I suspect we need a change to the Smalltalk code
to prevent files from being deleted if they are open because some OS
ie the mac don't allow it (need some feedback from windows users!)
and cause a primitive failure. There fore as you can see I could
write an application under Unix that works ok but might cause a
walkback on the mac because of well sloppy programming that's not
caught correctly because of platform primitive differences.

I've another version of the test suite to post in a few days that
will attempt to work with > 2GB files and hopefully I'll have the
code based changed so that it will in fact support > 2GB files.