OOP isomorphically relating ARPANET

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Sun Nov 18 02:37:32 UTC 2001

On the 9th October 2001
Alan Kay wrote:

>However, I'm not an exclusivist. I think people should be able to run
> anything they need side by side and interoperably on their computers
> regardless of where they came from. That was one of the main points
> behind my particular conception of OOP (and how it would
> isomorphically relate to the ARPAnet) back in the 60s.

Does anyone know if OOP being isomorphic to the ARPANET would mean that an object would be like a node in a network ?

If so would that mean ideally, objects should follow the distributed network model devised by Paul Baran and have redundancy in their interconnections ? And, ideally, should messages be broken down into message blocks all travelling along different paths to their destination ?

As ARPANET evolved into the Internet by means of an additional protocol layer, does that mean ideally that OOP should have an additional protocol layer isomorphic to TCP/IP so that objects from different languages can work together ?

If not, why not ?

Regards,
Gary