Squeak on PS2?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 01:09:09 UTC 2001

Alan Kay wrote:

> Andreas Raab put Squeak on PS2 last year -- and I think he and Chip
> got the Linux/Squeak version going this summer ....

Thanks Alan:

I managed to find the stuff on the list through Google, but can't find
any source in the usual places. Indeed, without wanting to be market
shareist about it, there's more space devoted to OS2 than PS2!

(Of course, it may be that the port is so easy that even a ham fisted
clown like me could do it.....;-)

Here's the situation in my family. My neice has an old 166. It'll run
Windows 95 without any but the usual problems, but has a tiny hard
drive, 16Mb of RAM, a puny video card ..... It'll just about run Squeak,
but won't run X.

They've just bought a PS2, which they use pretty much as a home
entertainment centre. Obviously it makes more sense to turn the PS2 into
a computer than to upgrade the old one or buy a new one. They might even
be able to network the two together and use the PS2 to serve X to the
166. And, of course, a programming environment with lots of multi-media
stuff built in would be useful.

It seems to me that if anyone ever needed proof that SqC really isn't
into world domination, here it is: the biggest market out there, one,
maybe two, ports ready to go, and no way of finding them!

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211