Squeak on PS2?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 04:49:18 UTC 2001

Edmund Ronald wrote:

> What would be nice would be a CD which turns the PS2 into a Squeak machine
> at boot. Maybe files could then be saved off onto the net somewhere ...

I think this would be pretty easy given Linux/PS2 to work with. After
all, there are plenty of examples of Linux distributions which run
(albeit slowly) off a CD. Here, you'd just add Squeak as the only
application other than X.

The downside is that X is a big drain on the system, and the whole
enterprise is overkill.

Given a decent knowledge of the PS2, a more direct approach should be
possible (see Alan and Andreas' postings). Maybe Squeak NOS.

I'm told that PS2s come with a CD on which is written "program your Play
Station with Basic" :-P

I think I'll go with the PS2 goes Squeak on Linux idea, but as it's a
wedding present for someone else, I doubt if I'll have the time to
produce a bootable CD!

Thanks all

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211