[BUG] Squeak Alice not reading MDL files

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Tue Nov 20 15:56:19 UTC 2001

Hi Leo,

> We've been trying to use Squeak Alice here at the Computer Clubhouse
> (http://www.computerclubhouse.org/) and also found a couple
> of problems... Apparently, at least in Squeak 3.1b, the
> 'roll' command is not working.  We've tried all the possibilities
> listed in the quick reference manual and nothing
> happened.  Squeak does not recognize parameters such as 'up',
> 'down', etc. ...

It seems like directions such as 'up' and 'down' are not recognized. I tried
it with 'left' and 'right' and this does work.

> Moreover, we wonder what Teddy commands have been implemented
> so far.  Is there any way to bend images and/or extrude them
> like in the original Teddy interface?

Currently, no. Any enhancements are more than welcome.

> Is there any way to import Teddy objects into Squeak?

Depends on where the objects were created. We can import MDL[**], VRML, and
3DS models.

[**] Only the 'old' MDL version is supported. The format changed a while ago
and we never got around to updating it to the current version. Again, any
help is welcome.

> What kinds of tools can we use to generate Squeak Alice objects?

To actively create 3D objects in Squeak we only have Teddy. Other than that
you can author these models in other tools and import them using one of the
aforementioned file formats.

> Finally, we believe it would be very helpful if we could have
> access to other Alice Script commands from eToys tiles.
> Be able to roll objects and play with multiple cameras
> are examples of the things we would love to have.  Is there
> any concrete planning about incorporating those features into
> the system?

There are no concrete plans from my side here but if anyone wants to give it
a try, send me a message (off-list please). I'm more than happy to coach you
through the beginnings.

Cheers,
  - Andreas