[BUG] Squeak Alice not reading MDL files

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Nov 20 17:05:00 UTC 2001

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Pierce <jpierce at cs.cmu.edu> writes:

Jeff> 'Roll' is a special case that we added to Alice primarily
Jeff> because we lacked good words for describing that motion as a
Jeff> 'turn'.  Users easily picked up 'turn: left/right' and turn:
Jeff> 'up/down', but no one liked 'turn: clockwise / counterclockwise'
Jeff> or any of the other variations we tried.  We finally settled on
Jeff> 'roll: left/right' to control this motion, but we didn't
Jeff> associate any other directions with 'roll' (we already had
Jeff> 'turn' to cover the other directions).

I've produced a lot of videos (like exercise and music videos) for
cable access, and as a director talking in realtime to my camera
people, I found myself needing a term for that third axis of movement.
We had "dolly" to shift the whole camera in the horizontal plane,
"pedestal" to go up and down, and "pan" to rotate up/down/left/right.

So, recalling my youth watching the old "Batman" TV Series, I
remembered that every time they were in the villian's lair, they
always used some tilted shot like the one I wanted.  Thus, the terms
defined themselves as:

        "batman left" and "batman right".

It was distinct, and once taught, I got exactly what I needed.

:-)