VM Profiling in Linux

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 20 17:45:46 UTC 2001

Hello Scott,

I know you have had success profiling the Squeak VM.  I am having
trouble getting time results and was wondering if you have any
suggestions for me.  In Linux, I recompiled the VM with the -pg option
(by adding it to the CFLAGS in the Makefile) and then ran it for several
minutes.  It produces the gmon.out file.  But looking at it with 'gprof
squeak gmon.out' reveals "no time accumulated".  I get the number of
calls to each function but no times.  I've tried -pg -a, removed
-fomit_frame_pointer (gcc requires this if using -pg), and also tried it
without -02. but with no luck.  I even tried changing ioExit to exit
with status 2 (which I saw somewhere when searching for documentation on
gprof).  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony