User Manual

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed Nov 21 22:29:02 UTC 2001

	Maarten Maartensz wrote:
	> The first part first version is done, and a html-version of it can be seen
	> on my site as:
	>
	> http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/log_comp/User_Manual_part1_version0_in_html.htm

So I fired up Netscape, gave it the URL, and saw

    "What you're seeing now is a window with this text inside a
     larger window."
False.
    "The window this text in has a title - Introduction to Everything
     in the User Manual ..."
False.  The displayed title is "Netscape: Welcome to the Computing#
Pages of Maarten Maartenzs" where # is a funny looking thing that I
first took for a hollow ^C but turns out to be  .
    "resized by dragging the sides of the window"
False.  If I drag on the sides of the window, the window moves.
And so on, and so on.

It appears that the author assumed that you would read this in Scamper,
but at least on the first screen, nowhere says so.

The very first page in this manual SHOULD say that the manual is meant
to be viewed with Scamper, and SHOULD say how to do that.

I note that the actual HTML markup is unusually well-formed for something
made using FrontPage, but makes extremely heavy use of <font color...>,
which is regrettable.  The colours don't show up at all in one of my
browsers, and some of them look exactly like links in another, which makes
it *most* confusing to read.  I kept clicking on things that LOOKED like
links but weren't.