[ENH] UUID generator in Smalltalk & plugin.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Nov 23 07:46:19 UTC 2001

Ok, I'll shove this out the door, it's a rewrite of something I've
got in C form, however what I've done is code a version 4 UUID
generator in Squeak, which falls back to the hosting OS generator if
found.

If some people could check and verify it, (it does have an SUint
suite). That would be good. If some want to check the original docs
and confirm I've not made a coding error that would even be better. A
coding error would match up to my Sunit test of course.

Hint, I've not heard of any windows users that ran the file primitive
test SUnit, perhaps we don't have windows users here? Just mac and
unix folk?

Note I'm going to revise the VMMaker source tree and remove the UUID
C code I've got there now because this replaces the C generated one
for the mac and windows. For windows I bet there is a microsoft
function, on the mac we have it in carbon or OS-X. Unix, I'll let
someone else deal with. This only apply to the C generator which
typically uses a time based version of the UUID generator. This
Smalltalk based one uses a random number version generator. The only
thing I'm *uncertain* about is the quality of the Random generator.
Other are welcome to say implement a cryptographic strength
generator, aren't there some MD5 code samples out there?