A survey of OSs used by Squeakers

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 26 16:53:15 UTC 2001

>For me it's a way of trying to resolve Mark's statement that most of his
>students use Linux and Maarten's assertion that 90% of Squeakers use
>Windows with my own gut feeling that Mac users are very well represented
>on this list and that while Windows users outnumber Linux users, it's
>not by much.

None of the above are really contradictory.
- By my "students," I meant my graduate students, e.g., Je77 is
mostly a UNIX person, Lex is entirely a Linux user, Joshua is mostly
a Linux user.  Bolot is our sole Windows maven.  The Macs I keep
putting in the lab collect dust in the corners...
- My undergraduate students (http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/cs2340) are
mostly Windows users (like most of the universe), but with a very
vocal *nix minority.
- People on this list are a majority, but are probably not the
complete Squeak-using universe.  My guess is that Squeakers NOT on
this list are probably heavily Windows users, as the majority of
computer users are.  Those on the list probably tend toward
non-traditional approaches, so there are more Mac and *nix people
here than in the general computing public.

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu