Movie-JPEG (was Re: [updates] 10 for 3.2a)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 27 18:34:55 UTC 2001

More questions about the Movie-JPEG format, please:

- Why was it decided to invent a format rather than use the existing
Motion-JPEG standard (which I didn't know about until Bolot sent me
these URLs):

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/research/cmt/versions/4.0/doc/cmtmjpeg/MJPEG_
chunkfile.html
http://neptune.netcomp.monash.edu.au/cpe3013/MPEG/Reading/MJPEG/step1.htm

The Motion-JPEG format sounds like essentially the same thing as the
movie-JPEG format, but I could be missing some of the subtleties.

- Why is the soundtrack audio format Sun mulaw rather than something
more common like AIFF or WAV?

- It looks like it's possible to do multiple soundtracks (though the
MPEG-to-Movie-JPEG example only create a single monophonic
soundtrack).  How does that work?  Are they mixed during playback, or
is there a way to choose between soundtracks during playback?

I'm eager to get the plugin/VM to try it, particular on BUILDING some movies!

Mark
Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu