Squeak Teaching/Learning questions

Jerry Balzano gjbalzano at ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 28 19:44:25 UTC 2001

Where my HyperCard background gets me in trouble with Squeak is when I'm
repeatedly wanting/trying to "lift the hood" on things to see how they
work, and my HC experience of how to do this and what you find there is
just different.  For example, Squeak inspectors on object instances are
really only the tip of the iceberg, but browsing the class takes me all the
way to the bottom of the ocean. I need better moves for negotiating the
middle ground.

So in HyperCard I could always double-click on a button, see its
point-clickable properties, and with one more click see the script for how
that button works.  In Squeak I seem to only be able to see how a button
works in this way if it has been Etoy-scripted.  Similarly with menu items:
I'd love to be able to "lift the hood" on one of the many menu items that
one can access through a morph's halos and peek at the code that implements
that function. How can I (or anyone else learning Squeak) do this?

Another thing I haven't been able to figure out:  How do I access or
reference a morph that I have created via direct manipulation?  I know I
can get an inspector on it and call it "self" in the inspector's code pane
((language, language, hope I'm expressing things correctly)), but how can I
actually write code that gets or sets something on that morph out of that
special context?

			- Jerry

Dr. Gerald J. Balzano
Teacher Education Program
Dept of Music
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
Cognitive Science Program
UC San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093
(619) 822-0092