Movie-JPEG (was Re: [updates] 10 for 3.2a)

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 22:13:40 UTC 2001

John.Maloney at disney.com wrote:

> So MPEG is definitely preferable for
> compactness in final distribution.
>
> But  there are many advantages to a format that can be authored
> and edited in Squeak without the need to buy any additional software.
> I'm hoping that we can find a way to export a Squeak JPEG movies
> in a form that can be imported into a high-end video program and
> turned into a movie in MPEG, Quicktime, or other popular digital
> video formats for those who desire to publish their movies outside
> the Squeak community. (I believe that Adobe Premier, for example,
> can create a movie from a folder full of individual frames, and it
> would be easy to export all the frames of a JPEG movie.)

There's quite a lot of stuff in the Gimp (none of which I've played
with) which may be appropriate (and Gimp is free, of course).

In Gimp, open an animated .gif (this just for purposes of illustration).
Open up the file dialogue and mouse down to "video". It seems that Gimp
will (relatively) cheerfully take a series of jpegs and export them as
an mpeg movie (given the mpeg2encode libraries) or strip any old mpeg or
animated gif down to a series of individual frames. It's not that child
friendly, though, and is pretty memory intensive.

My copy of Gimp is rather dated --  gimp -v GIMP version 1.1.18 -- and
I'd expect this stuff has received some attention in later versions (let
alone the all new rewrite).

HTH

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211