Useless goodies (Was: XML Parser choice (was [ENH] ??? MD5 in Squeak.))

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Nov 29 10:38:11 UTC 2001

At Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:01:37 +0100,
Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:

> We might continue this list for years. ZX81 emulators (they exist, sure, see
> the pages of XTender...). A program which computes the mileage of your mouse,
> all kind of silly text scramblers, etc. I could give you some hundreds of
> such "goodies". So why do I bother you with that? Because ALL COMP. SCI
> TEACHERS in this best of worlds are *obliged* to produce either directly, or
> through their students such wonderful pieces of software. Their purpose may
> be just training. We teach compilation and virtual machines. Well, now, be
> more ambitious, and do something which works, even if it is silly.
> Now I have two students who code Lindenmayer systems in Squeak. Perfectly
> useless as well. But
> 1. They will learn Smalltalk.
> 2. They will learn how to process quasi-paralelly a highly recursive data
>    structure.

Sure! I change this year my CS1 course from functional programming
(with Ocaml) to OOP (with Squeak) and last year my students have done some work on
a Lindenmayer system project. This year, i would like to do the same
project with Squeak.

--
Serge Stinckwich                                   -< )  http://multiagent.com/
CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>I3>SMILE                        /~\  http://squeak.org/