Movie-JPEG (was Re: [updates] 10 for 3.2a)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 29 17:43:20 UTC 2001

>You're right that stand-alone frames are much easier to edit.
>In my experiments with Squeak JPEG movies, JPEG movie are
>generally 1.2 to 3 times larger than the original MPEG movie at
>similar quality levels. So MPEG is definitely preferable for
>compactness in final distribution.

Ed Lazowska (Chair of U. Washington CS department) just gave a talk
here at Georgia Tech where he pointed out that CPU speed is doubling
every eighteen months (with some arguments saying that there is maybe
10 years left on Moore's Law), but disk space is doubling every NINE
months and the backbone bandwidth is doubling every SIX months, with
no limits in sight for those.  Ed argues that in 10 years, things
like streaming video protocols will make no sense at all: The CPU
will be the bottleneck, not disk or bandwidth.

If he's right, then a less-compressed but more-easily-accessed and
more-easily-constructed format makes more sense in the long run.

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu