Performance of switching system window focus

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Thu Nov 29 18:38:19 UTC 2001

"Stephen Pair" <spair at advantive.com>  writes in...

>I was just looking back at squeak 2.5 and noticed that switching the
>focus of system windows seems a whole lot faster than in Squeak 3.1 &
>3.2.  It doesn't seem like switching window focus should appear sluggish
>on a 1Ghz machine, but it does.

Absolutely.

As I've said many times, we go through periods of extension and periods of tuning, and we haven't done much serious tuning since several significant changes (though I put out three tuning updates in the last week).

If you or anyone else wants to help pursue this, put up three of your favorite windows and write a loop inside a MessageTally to cycle among the three doing

	[:x | x activate.  "Bring it to the front"
	x world doOneCycle  "Repaint the display"]

Do this in both 2.5 and the very latest.  Note that it's worth doing this both on a blank screen and a screen littered with other windows (preferably of a recognizably different type so they will stand out in the tally), since at various times we have been both clever and not so clever, at minimizing damage reported in the rest of the screen.

	- Dan