An Ideal System Browser

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at networkinference.com
Fri Nov 30 18:24:56 UTC 2001

> From: Lex Spoon [mailto:lex at cc.gatech.edu]
[...]
> Overall, Multiple-Windows seems like a safer default.

I agree, but maybe it should be exactly that --- a default, with navigation
buttons appearing on browsers if a developer decides to change that default?

A more interesting question is: what should the interface do to support
*both* behaviours?  For example, sometimes I know how to get where I'm going
and want to navigate through several layers quickly and without retaining
intermediate context (senders and implementors are typical).  I'd be quite
happy to shift-click to have the system present the next layer in the same
window (or, for simplicity, to throw away the existing window and replace
it).  At other times I'm exploring, and really appreciate the ability to
retain context in the windows.

Just my Friday evening £0.02...

		- Peter