Finding Plugins: MPEG files not valid?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 20:57:12 UTC 2001

Mark Guzdial wrote:

> I'm eager to try the Movie-JPEG format, but I can't get any MPEGs
> converted to Movie-JPEG.  The problem isn't the JPEG plugin -- I
> can't open any MPEGs!  I know that I used to be able to, but in a
> completely-updated 3.2 image, running the 3.1.1 Mac VM (not OS X),
> every MPEG or MP3 file I try comes back as being invalid MPEG.  These
> are files that I can successfully play in QT Movie Player and in
> iTunes.

Can't help with Mac problems, but it's not uncommon to find mpegs which
will run OK on commercial software and not on Squeak/Gnu stuff.

> I've been wondering if I even have the MPEG plugin -- maybe the
> primitive is bombing because the module can't be found.  I've tried
> downloading the MPEG plugin from www.squeak.org in the
> 3.0/mac/extra_files directory, but with the same result.
>
> Some questions:
> - Is there a more recent MPEG plugin somewhere?
> - Is the MPEG plugin built in to the Mac VM?  How can I find out?  I
> know that there's a way of getting an array of all the available
> plugins, but I can't find it anywhere in the image.

Try loading the plugin (by opening an mpeg -- I'd use the blue player,
rather than the orange one, which has always been a bit buggy for me)
and doing a "print it" on Smalltalk listLoadedModules. The plugin should
show up. Note that (I've never understood the "why" to this) the Mpeg
plugin is loaded dynamically, on need. This doesn't necessarily help
diagnosis!

> - Are there specific MPEG versions that work or don't work?
> - Can anyone point me to valid MPEG files that Squeak can read that I
> can try this?

Try http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/cs2340/uploads/AlienSong.mpg  ;-)

which seems to work on just about anything. Otherwise, there are a pile
of mpegs in one of the directories under

ftp://mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/multimedia/mpeg/

*most* of which should work (my guess is that they use pretty early
codecs).

HTH

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211