About Squeak evolution

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Mon Oct 1 04:28:35 UTC 2001

ducasse stephane <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote (in a pvt msg)...

>Hi dan,
>
>I was wondering if it would not be wise to have an official version of
>Squeak now. Like that we can have the time to work on the new versions with
>modules.
>
>Else the module process from my experience may take some time and having a
>new version now could be referred as the version before the modules.
>Especially because 3.0 was put together in a hurry and is not really good
>for demoes and the like. For example I'm writing columns and I'm referring
>to 2.8 because 3.0 has broken examples and I would love to move to 3.1. In
>addition this also give a new release which is good (like microsoft) people
>have to upgrade. As an example I could put 3.1 on the cd with the article
>and say the new Squeak ;).

Hi, Steph -

Ahh... a message I agree with.  (;-).

Yes, I think you're absolutely right.  I'm wedged with a couple of other projects, but in the next day or two, I'll issue Doug's most recent harvesting (35 updates) and seal off 3.1 alpha.  Requestors of updates will be given a choice of going to 3.2 alpha, or settling in to 3.1 beta.  We'll keep the 3.1 beta updates open for a week or two, and then declare it 3.1 final.

Incidentally the main failure with 3.0, in my opinion, was that no one took full responsibility for the final phase where fixes and nothing else should have been carefully added, and then a final clean image posted.  This is a place where SqF, and the harvester-types especially, could be a great help.  It is my hope that a few people who are motivated to see a nice stable 3.1 release will organize themselves and help out by selecting and testing all updates appropriate to 3.1 after it goes beta.  Given such help, I am willing, as time allows (meaning probably after OOPSLA), to do all the normal work of tidying up the image once we have settled on the final updates (I'll probably send out a gamma image for this purpose near the end).

Following the step to 3.2 alpha, I will issue the module updates, so 3.2 will be (at least "weakly") modular from the start.

	- Dan