Computerchannel.de: Squeak 3.0 tested

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Oct 1 13:39:08 UTC 2001

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 Fleeberz at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2001-09-30 1:14:18 PM, karl.ramberg at chello.se writes:
>
> Fleeberz at aol.com wrote:
> >> I haven't gotten the hang of Smalltalk AT ALL yet, ...

Three books that were invaluable to me for catching a (for there are
many) spirit of smalltalk:
	A Taste of Smalltalk (alas out of print)
	Smalltalk-80: the language and implementation (in print as the
		purple book)
	Kent Beck's Best Practice Patterns.

Inside Smalltalk is also very useful, as is another book I can't remember
the name of.

I very much *like* the white and nuBlue books, but it's very hard for me
to tell how good a job then do on instilling a spirit of Smalltalk (in
addition to , or instand of, a spirit of squeak).

[snip]
> >I allways browse with optinal buttons on and use the senders of and
> >implementors of all the time to see how stuff is used elsewere in
> >the image.
>
> Surely I've seen references to these things, but can't seem to recall where;
> looks like it's time to start looking. With luck, I'll trip over them early
> in the "search."  Will be looking for preferences, and perhaps browser menu
> items such as "show implementors of..." and so on. See? It's easy! (?)

Heh.

cmd-n and cmd-m (browse senders adn implementors) are you friends! I
remember teh day that Dan Ingalls mentioned those key commands, my fluency
with the system skyrocketed.

> Thanks, Karl.  I'd ask Cees or Bijan about it, but considering how I've
> treated those wonderful people in the past, I'm better off having my tail
> between my legs than nothing at all. :-/ (C, B, I'm sorry. Me bad.)

I'm easy, I forgive at the drop of a hat. Cees, OTOH, Cees might want to
see some hair shirt time! :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.