Ridiculous Price of Squeak Books (was Re: Computerchannel.de: Squeak 3.0 tested)

Fleeberz at aol.com Fleeberz at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 20:26:11 UTC 2001

In a message dated 2001-10-01 11:43:53 AM, guzdial at cc.gatech.edu writes:

>For what it's worth, the chapters at
>http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook are essentially the same (minus
>formatting and some detail editing by Prentice-Hall's editors) as the
>NuBlue book.  The bound book is lovely (yay, Ian!) and is worth its
>price, in my opinion, but the CONTENT is available without a
>"ridiculous price."  Noel Rappin's chapter is a fine intro to Squeak.

Not knocking your books, Mark (nor those of other authors here). Really! And
I've certainly spent "vast fortunes" on books before - one usually gets what
one pays for, unless its some kind of "fad" you-can-only-learn-it-from-me,
you-must-have-it-to-survive kind of thing; thankfully, these are rare.
Paradoxically, when trying to learn something, I absorb less from direct
radiation than I do from indirect scattering off dead trees; perhaps you
yourself have considered the notion of "curling up with a good book."

Thank you for the link; I have that stuff and must force myself to try to
read more of it some time. Now if I had a decent printer or second monitor...
I'd retroactively spend the money for either of those and buy the book(s)! ;^)

Cheers,
Flee

P.S. The price is NOT ridiculous, it just makes the book unavailable to some.