Squeak 3.1a-4164 on OpenBSD 2.8 or later?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Oct 2 02:40:41 UTC 2001

>hey there--
>
>	I get linker grief (below) when I attempt to build from Ian's 3.1a-4164
>sources on OpenBSD 2.8. Has anyone done this successfully?
>
>	thanks,

Back in Sept 2000 I did some work with  OpenBSD 2.7 as noted below. I
thought Ian fixed the awk issue. You should check with Lex's patch
page. I thought I saw some changes there too.

Ok, for the curious after I installed the GNU version of make I could
generate a Squeak 68K VM for OpenBSD 2.7 mac68k

Steve Elkins <sgelkins at bellsouth.net> also attempted this on I guess
an intel box:

He adds:

>Added -I/usr/X11R6/include for sqUnixMozilla.c
>and sqXWindow.c, compiled manually.  in src/unix/sqXWindow.c changed
>RTLD_NOW to DL_LAZY

You must control-d the configure when it is check for 'as'. I guess
that is a difference between GNU as and BSD as.  *this is fixed*

The interp.c does not get gnuified because of issues with how the
configure deals with AWK, awk is there it's not GNU awk. We'll see if
we can fix that... Installing gnu awk and fiddling with some symbolic
links fix this problem. But I think lex has some changes too.