[Q][Security] in web based squeaking?

Kouji takahashi tako at aquilax.co.jp
Tue Oct 2 08:53:56 UTC 2001

 Hi. I'm grad to hear your attempt.

 I'm using an intranet swiki which can contain squeak code between '<?' and '?>' tag.
I simply put Mark Guzdial's ActiveSwikiAction into current swiki framework.

 Main application of my swiki is accessing our custmers database.
Each person can have own swiki pages containing specific query and formats.
It's very conveient to make small changes only with browsers eveywhere.

 ActiveSwikiAction searches danger keywords such as #('Smalltalk' 'view' 'open' 'perform:' 'FileStream' 'FileDirectory' 'fileIn' 'Compiler' 'halt' 'PWS' 'Swiki') and prevents execution.I think this is not enough, but perfect protection is very hard.

 My strategy is make 'parts pages' which controled by secure person(password protected), and permits others to only call(?) 'parts pages' and forget about security issue.
 Adding 'page inlining' function make it easy to pile multiple 'parts pages'.

------------- Page inlining example. This page shows results of 2 'parts pages'.
!Tako's today's schedule.

 **dateAndTimeNow**
 **todaysSchedule?person=Tako**
---------------------------
'dateAndTimeNow" and 'todaysSchedule' are 'parts pages'.

 I did not implement '**todaysSchedule?person=Tako**' part, inluding get fields to link needs some tweak.

 For me, debugging is the main problem. ActiveSwikiAction do not give any debugging support.
Without Squeak environment, debugging is nightmare.

 Sorry for my poor English.

bye.

At 18:39 01.9.27, Torge Husfeldt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> A while ago I heard of the (theoretical) ability of swikis to support
> real smalltalk scripting inside the edited pages.
> Is this secure?
> Is there any swiki active that makes use of this feature?
>         (if not the first than most probably not the second ;-)
> Is anybody interested in developmentor actively developing in this
> direction?
>
> On the other hand what about security in the Squeak browser plugin? I
> gather it is very safe against malicious code but only by being very
> restrictive - is this still true? If so, I'd like to improve it to give
> the user the choice between restrictiveness and power/security and
> insecurity.
>
> I'd like to hear from every effort that has been made recently in this
> direction, any active projects or any thoughts you have on this topic.
> Looks like this is _the_ thing I will be working on for the next few
> months if it proves to be worth(not commercially though) it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Torge
>
> P.S.: Even replys like "wrong list, post it there:..." welcome

^. .^    Kouji Takahashi  <tako at aquilax.co.jp>
 ='=     Tel +81-3-3986-4834    Fax +81-3-5992-0792