Why we should remove {} from Squeak

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Oct 2 22:13:31 UTC 2001

Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com> wrote:
[the argument from attractive nuisence]

I think a good answer to that is lots of good examples, and making doing
the right thing easier, not avoiding a useful, natural shortcut...

An interesting idea I saw (maybe on this list) that might help in
creating new abstrations is the Tuple class.

Tuple length: 5 revolutionSpeed: 2
Creates an object with two instance variables named after the keywords,
with the appropriate values, accessors and initialization code. If a
class answering this description doesn't yet exist, one is generated.

So the abstraction creator now has only to (technically - re)name his
creation, and it's ready to go. He can immidiately add smarts to it and
get benefits. Some of the technical busywork of creating the abstraction
is poofed away with a little doesNotUnderstand magic...

And the programmer has much less incentive to abuse Array for this sort
of things.

Daniel Vainsencher