Why we should EXTEND {} in Squeak

Joerg Beekmann beekmann at columbusgroup.com
Tue Oct 2 16:42:18 UTC 2001

I find this whole thread interesting since I've been playing with a compiler
modification that goes in just the opposite direction. Extends the syntax so
as to allow {} in new situations. For example:

'Welcome to my {'great' bold} Squeak document.'

The idea was inspired by the work being done at wwww.curl.com. The notion is
to create a kind of Squeak based content language. One element of this is to
make it simple to output formatted text.

Anyway the curl site is worth a visit by Squeakers as they are direct
competitors. Check out the live essay on ray tracing under the demos
section. This combines text, diagrams to explain concepts like refractive
index, transmissivity, reflectivity etc. and actual ray tracings. For each
parameter there are sliders which control that value. As the sliders are
changed the diagrams and the ray tracing are updated. Very slick.

Joerg

TELUS Enterprise Solutions
Joerg Beekmann
beekmann at columbusgroup.com
t: 604 801 5758  ext. 300
c: 604 512 2557
Vancouver + Toronto + Calgary + Edmonton