[ANN] Squeak RB release (and various issues)

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Oct 3 00:26:50 UTC 2001

This version is mostly a cleanup, with refactorings and bugfixes, no new
functionality.

If anyone used the new Finder tool from the last release, I'd be glad to
hear if you found it useful, whether the help included helped, and any
ideas on how to improve it.

Another question - when you do RB - Class -> references, you get all
references to a class in a SelectorEnvironment browser, which is from
this version, also an RB. The same goes for all places where one browses
various methods in different classes, like in the Lint results. Do you
prefer this or the MessageSet browser you get when you use a Browser
class references option?

A couple of files classified as Optional Addons are now available, that
hook up the RefactoringBrowser wherever your usual Browser is usually
called. I use it all the time, and as of this version's UI cleanup, I
recommend using it.

Note that this change set will still leave other Browser subclasses
without RB behavior, as I'm not yet decided on how to go about doing
closer integration with the other tools.

I'm not sure I like them being subclasses of Browser - I'm definitely
not dying to make them subclasses of an even more functionality laden
class.

Any ideas and comments on this topic are welcome.

About the distribution - in the last few releases, I've included a
project file that has all the required changes. It doesn't feel right
for a couple of reasons -
A. You don't get the differentiated ChangeSets, you get one that's a big
ball of mud.
B. It's more packaging work. Packaging work is bad, because it make
releases more boring and expensive.

OTOH, it seems pretty convinient for loading. Anyone happen to have code
for an automatic installer of SCAN packages lying around? :-)

To update to this version, you need to get the file RBUI.cs, RBModel.cs,
and RBUIChooserMorph.cs. They're at the SCAN site on and around
http://squeak.heeg.de:8080/HE0REO0BH8PI5Q8C37HK88ND32JJ3RF-4 (Model)
http://squeak.heeg.de:8080/4MD8EBOG6FUX0CC6LAWH4VYI8PM2RQF-5 (UI)
http://squeak.heeg.de:8080/L18S79Z97UH71DS9LVLFUCFBZ81FDQG-4
(ChooserMorph)
http://squeak.heeg.de:8080/M5K2F52ME5APJ4LHB59L21I95XO2F4B (Optional -
hook image up to use RB)

New in this version -
* A cleanup of the RefactoringBrowser UI code. Now very compatible with
Browser, only adding behavior to it additively - no menus or UI code is
overridden.
* MethodNameEditor, RefactoringBrowser and EnvironmentBrowsers delinted.
* LintDialog used to walkback when empty, now fixed (thanks to bug
report by PhiHo Hoang)
* LintDialog also used to not resize it's subpanes properly, now fixed
(thanks to same!)
* Extract Method error messages improved some.
* The Environment Browsers (where the Lint results are displayed) are
now RefactoringBrowsers, so you can fix the problems right where you see
them.

Daniel