Squeak 3.1a-4164 on OpenBSD 2.8 or later?

Steve Elkins sgelkins at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 3 02:43:50 UTC 2001

> 5. Most importantly, there's a real Squeak port (BSD sense of the
> term) of Squeak 3.0 in the lang section of OpenBSD 2.9, sound is even
> supposed to work but I can't say for sure because my sound card isn't
> supported.  If I get time to work on this before subsequent releases
> of both make it irrelevant, I'll start with the port since it seems to
> have been created by Mark Espie, who's an expert in this arcane field.

Made this work on OpenBSD 2.9 like so:

1. Applied the patches from the 2.9 port to the Squeak 3.1a-4164
source.  Also copied sqOpenBSDSound.c to src/unix/.  I'll attach them.

2. configure

3. gmake and gcc fails trying to compile sqUnixSound.c

4. Why's that still there?  <shrug>  Did a global replace in Makefile,
sqUnixSound --> sqOpenBSDSound.

5. gmake succeeded the 2nd time.  3D works again, loaded updates
through 4398, so far so good.

Don't know how well a port for 2.9 will work with 2.8, never got
around to installing 2.8 myself.

Good luck,
Steve