FilterCeleste (was: Re: Celeste - How to sort by field?)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 3 16:57:02 UTC 2001

> > I'd be happiest about the whole issue if LargeLists was added to the
> > standard image, so that it stays up to date....
> Yup, I tried to do something similar in spirit once or twice. I got most
> of it to work (handling list contents changes and scrolling), but I
> didn't manage to dynamically create the new item morphs when the list
> was resized. Have you taken care of this case?

When drawOn: is sent, the relevant morph can look at the clip rectangle
of the supplied canvas.  Actually, I don't create the StringMorph's any
longer -- it's just as easy to draw the string's directly.  The
PluggableListMorph has a single morph in its scroller, which is called a
"LazyListMorph".

The transition from the old PLM to the new was the hardest part, and it
really baffled me for a while.  It finally dawned on me to use a heart
transplant approach, and to aim for an intermediate stage where both the
old and the new versions were working simultaneously.  Fun stuff!

> If you have, I think LargeLists are good to have in the official image
> for the ChangeSorters, which get slow when you have lots of update
> changesets.

Ah, yes, hadn't thought of that one.  The only caveat is that, to use
the faster mode, you have to really keep the model synchronized with the
list morph, because the list morph might ask for new items at any time.
 If the list of items has quietly shrunk, then the list morph will ask
for an item that isn't there any longer.

-Lex