[tutorial] Revised Rolodex Project

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 11:59:24 UTC 2001

Duane Maxwell wrote:

> John Hinsley wrote:
> >...autodialler working.
>
> John, you might consider using the methods in AbstractSound that generate
> DMTF tones rather than using the serial port and modem.  For one, they don't
> require a configured modem, they work on all platforms, and they're pretty
> cool - just hold the phone handset up to the speaker and generate the tones.

Hi Duane

I remember you writing about this before. It's an inspired peice of
lateral thinking, but something I can't implement yet (I've yet to get
sound on my Linux set-up and hate working in Windoze) -- but I may have
to if I ever get the loot together for a cable modem. I like the idea of
taking a laptop to a pub, getting the 'phone from behind the bar, and
using Squeak to do the dialling.

For now, I think I'll put up a link to "another way to do it" so that
folk are aware of the possibility.

Strangely, this got me thinking about doing an answerphone in Squeak!

Thanks again,

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: