macroBenchmarks (was Re: [BUG] Wishlist for MessagTally)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Sun Oct 7 19:59:03 UTC 2001

Hi Scott,

> Try macrobenchmarks with and without this CS to see what I mean, its a
> hack, cause messagetally is confusing, but it helped me..

    Talking of macroBenchmarks, I found it very unreliable. One day my SqM
beat Squeak-D3D by as much as 10%, next day the situation is the other way
around.

    What's your experience with this benchmark ? What could have been the
causes for the behavior that I experienced ? Is there a way to control the
environment so that the result is meaningful ?

    BTW, thanks for your efforts in trying to speed up Squeak (while we are
eagerly waiting for J4 ;-). For sure P4 2G will be in entry level PC soon,
but we will never have enough of those CPU cycles (and RAM :-(

    Please keep up with your good work and I hope and I wish that the Squeak
Community would be able to enjoy the fruit of your work.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.