A stupid newbie question

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Oct 8 14:15:30 UTC 2001

Hi!

"Patrick Castle" <lemeia at bigpond.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> I think I should try and post as many newbie questions as possible because
> reading pages of digest I realised my topic was the only one I could follow.

:-) Keep on posting, it most often turns out that even the most seasoned
Smalltalkers learn things as a result - not necessarily the same things
as the newbie though... :-)

[SNIP]
> There is something I don't understand however.
>
> If it is true that you can't deploy your projects as .exe files I'm not sure
> I understand what the point is of working so hard to evolve a development
> like Squeak. I'm sorry if that sounds like the dumbest question anyone could

Well, just because you can't produce a deliverable as one single
executable (.exe-file under win32) doesn't mean you can't create
deliverables. Well, as you will see below you might be able to create
exe-files but not yet using a compiler.

Best is if you just read about it in the FAQ:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/780
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/778

[SNIP]
> I'm notorious for missing the point but would I really have to distribute
> Squeak in its entirety with any software I create to see it running on
> another machine? Isn't that a really inefficient use of resources?

Nope - you don't need to include everything, far from it! Read up on the
swikipages indicated.

regards, Göran