A stupid newbie question

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Oct 8 18:38:21 UTC 2001

On Monday 08 October 2001 10:38 am, Gary McGovern wrote:

> This may all be all right for some people, and idealistic, but are you
> considering new people. I see some new people to computing who have a
> really hard time just using a web browser or email client. Using Squeak on
> Windows deviates from the HCI principle of familiarity, dragging an image
> over an exe isn't normal for Windows. Installing Squeak on Linux is a
> complex operation in  itself.

You can associate .image files with the Squeak.exe in Windows so all you need
to do is double-click on a .image file. Doesn't the current Windows
distribution do this?

Installing Squeak on Linux has been complicated by imperfectly specified
dependencies in the various binary distribution packages in the past. But
then installing many things on Linux is not easy. At least you don't have to
edit .rc files for Squeak.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA