A stupid newbie question

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 23:55:24 UTC 2001

Stephen Pair wrote:

> > as I see it, we
> > either give in to old and pretty dreadful metaphors, or we
> > try and do something better.
>
> Looks like we have two metaphors to compare:
>
> A) Double click and icon and squeak runs
> B) Drag one icon on top of another and run Squeak
>
> Seems to me like B is the more dreadful metaphor.  All this argument
> ever amounts to is that for most of us, the effort required to get a
> double clickable Squeak image (where the image and VM are bundled
> together) or to create an install application for all platforms is just
> not worth it.  A lot of people seem to want it bad enough to complain
> about it, but not so many (none) seem to want it bad enough to actually
> code it.

Well, maybe, but these are *not* the metaphors I had in mind! (Actually,
in Windows and in Kde, I click (double in the first, single in the
latter) on a mouse icon to start Squeak). I was thinking more of the
tired old metaphors elsewhere in Windows (Gary having made a point about
HCI and familiarity) but Alan puts this better, so I'll shut up!

Cheers

John

--
If you don't care about your data, like file systems which automagically
destroy themselves and have money to burn on 3rd party tools to keep