Large unix files... & OS-X

Andy Stoffel acs at campus.com
Tue Oct 9 03:47:55 UTC 2001

John M McIntosh [mailto:johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com] wrote:

> Lurking in the back of OS-9 and OS-X is the ability to
> have unicode file names, and large files (files > 2GB).
> Do we have any need for  this?

> (ps also the ability to have file names > 31 characters)

Is unicode a requirement for file names longer than 31
characters ? (No one answered a question I had last week
about file name lengths in another Mac OS X thread....)

While I personally don't have a current need for such
things.... the filename length issue is something
I tripped over last week+ when playing with Squeak Alice
(A number of the example Alice Actors have file names
longer than 31 characters...)

-Andy-
---
ob. P.E.T.E.  Disclaimer:
 No electrons were harmed in the production
 of this message, though it was a close one
 with the red ones used to dot the i's"