A stupid newbie question

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 05:48:26 UTC 2001

Ken Kahn wrote:

> From: Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at squeakland.org>
>
> >P.S. Arguments that something bad but long established (such as MS
> >Windows conventions) should be catered to don't have a lot of force
> >for me.
>
> I agree there is no strong need to cater to Windows UI conventions. But the
> bigger issue is to whether to build upon an existing environment or build
> one from scratch. Let me try a biological analogy. Squeak seems to be about
> finding a newly emergent island and populating it with plants and animals.
> The alternative is to find old islands that already have a rich ecology and
> strive to coexist. It is true that the old islands (like MS Windows) may
> have many warts (rats, mosquitos, posionous spiders, etc.) but they also
> have plants you can eat, animals you can domesticate, trees for shelter etc.

Interesting idea. But I seem to remember VWs extremely calm and affable
Eliot Miranda going nearly
apoplectic when it was discovered that a really tricky problem with
printer support was down to an undocumented change in a .dll. In this
case, the tree Cincom was trying to shelter in had a poisonous snake in
it!

> Making the new islands habitable is a much larger task. The resulting island
> may have a nice rationale design while colonizing old islands is a more
> chaotic distributed process that lacks the elegance of a top-down design.
> But maybe it is a richer, more adaptive environment.

To my mind, Squeak occupies a sort of middle ground. If you like, it
exists on populated islands (Windows/Mac/Linux and so on) but imports
its own microclimate and flora and fauna (that is, it doesn't tie itself
to OS font support, printer support, etc).

> To push this analogy further, back when Smalltalk was being designed most
> islands were bare or nearly so. Today over 90% of the "islands" out there
> are running MS Windows. Sure, islands can be sterilized and recolonized but
> the point is that there already is an existing ecology one can join and
> build upon.

I'd dispute your figures. 90% of the webserver islands are certainly not
running Windows (that's one reason why the Internet still functions!)
nor are 90% of the servers. German figures I've seen suggest that
combined Mac and Linux use (I mean, the figures for people using Mac +
the figures using Linux, not people dual booting Mac/Linux ;-) is 20%+
on desktops and likely to grow. I say it again, the underdeveloped world
simply cannot afford to use Windows (I know substantial parts of
Liverpool which can't!).

> I'm not arguing that Squeak will fail only that it is trying to do something
> very hard and risky. I hope it succeeds.

I think, given that we can't fortel the future, that the fact that
Squeak runs on a multitude of OSs is actually a safer option although I
look forward to a future when a secure, multi-tasking, Squeak as OS
evolves!

Cheers

John

--
If you don't care about your data, like file systems which automagically
destroy themselves and have money to burn on 3rd party tools to keep