how to disable sound?

Matthew McNaughton mcnaught at cs.ualberta.ca
Tue Oct 9 15:16:34 UTC 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Arnold Stern wrote:

> I would like to disable sound support in Linux-Squeak-3.0
> since I have no soundcard and often found squeak complaining: "no /dev/dsp"
> After putting "#undef HAVE_OSS" in sqUnixConfig.h, squeak now freezes
> every time when I try to remove a morph from the screen (via the halo icon).
> Is there a better way to drop sound support ?

That depends on what you mean by "better".

Try this:
Click on the Squeak tab on the left of the screen.
Click preferences...
Click media
Check "soundStopWhenDone".

At some point in the sequence of above actions, Squeak may freeze on you
just as it does with the halo close button. Press Meta-Period (or
Alt-Period) and then click "proceed" on the pink window that comes up.

--
Matthew McNaughton <mcnaught at cs.ualberta.ca>