A stupid newbie question

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Oct 9 16:03:20 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 12:12 am, G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl wrote:
> You are missing the point that for a normal user - not the
> computer-fun-people - the best solution is to put all materials in one box
> and if they want to use it, they only would have to open that box:
> windows-shorthand for that: "give me a .exe"

Truly normal people (i.e. not computer geeks) don't know about exe's. They
know about clicking on icons or menu entries.

They may or may not know about how to install a program they downloaded from
the 'net.

They almost certainly don't know or care how many files are in whatever it is
they installed.

If someone is capable enough to download, find, and execute an .exe, they're
capable enough to:

* run an installation program instead
* read a README

etc.

If you're distributing something over the net, it's best to have it a single
file originally (better if the file is never seen, as in Squeakland), but
it's immaterial how many files it becomes when installed.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com