Base64 encoded problem + Leibniz & Kant

Maarten Maartensz maartens at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 10 10:56:53 UTC 2001

Hello,

First a minor irritant of the last days:

I use Windows98 (lacking the time to learn the technicalities to get Linux
properly working) and
I've got a problem with the Squeak-digest material the last days that
includes Base64 encoded material. It crashes my mail-reader; it crashes
QuickView Plus (that's capable of reading hundreds of file-types
flawlessly), and in order to read the digest I'm forced to read it under DOS.

It may be my machine, but I don't have similar problems elsewhere, and the
one common thing to all crashes I had were these Base64 encoded additions.
It happened thrice the last days, and while there is a work-around (DOS),
this is irritating. (I like this list a lot, so I am willing to work fr it
but...).

Next, as to Kant and Leibniz and their relevance to computing, and for
those on the list who have a serious interest in philosophy who are also
not afraid of reading mathematical logic and related stuff:

First, Leibniz spelled his last name "Leibniz" (and not "Leibnitz",
"Liebnitz" etc.), while Kant ought to have spelled his last name like his
Scottish ancestors Cant (just like the correct spelling of Freud ought to
have been Fraud: "nomen est omen").

Those who care to see whether the Monadology has much to do with computing
ought to consult my
http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/phi_leibniz/monadology3A.html.

You'll find the general answer is: NO. (But philosophically it's quite
interesting.)

Most philosophy is NOT really relevant to computing, and most philosophers
are not really good at anything mathematical. Those who care to read
philosophical stuff that IS (remotely) relevant should check out

- Bertrand Russell: "Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy"
- Wolfgang Stegmueller: "Probleme und Resultaten der Wissenschaftstheorie
und Analytischen Philosophie
- Mario Bunge: "Treatise on Basic Philosophy"
- F. Muller: "Structures for Everyone"

In neither case you will learn much about computing, but in either case you
get a lot of clear information about - let's say - "mathematical
philosophy" and a good introduction to various kinds of logic. And this
certainly is helpful to understand what computing and programming languages
are about, and what is their mathematical background.

Please note that Russell's book is thin and easy; Stegmueller comes in 4
thick tomes (or 30 or so thinner ones) in German (there is an English
translation about I don't know more than that it exists); Bunge also covers
some 8 volumes; and Muller is 500+ pages (a recent very well-written
introduction to the foundations of set-theory, physics, and structures and
categories, the last in the mathematical senses).

None of them is really difficult, and all of them are first class and will
contribute a lot to your intellectual education and your grasp of sound
philosophy and good mathematical logic.

Regards,

Maarten.

Website with 25 MB on philosophy and logic etc. at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/

----

Regards,

Maarten Maartensz.
Website in Amsterdam about philosophy, logic, M.E. (Myalgic
Encephalomyelitis) and much more:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/