How to learn Squeak

Noel Rappin noel.rappin at openwave.com
Thu Oct 11 18:44:29 UTC 2001

At 02:18 PM 10/11/2001, Andy Stoffel wrote:
>  Mark Guzdial wrote:
> > Noel Rappin approached O'Reilly about doing exactly "Squeak In A
> > Nutshell" before we even started the NuBlue book, and they turned him
> > down.  The argument that they gave him was that ORA focuses on
> > UNIX-based open source software, and they didn't put Squeak in that
> > camp.
>
>Just curious...
>
>How long ago was that ?? If you walk into any semi-decent book
>store you'll see a large quantity of non-Unix O'Reilly books
>(including NT (for a while now) and Mac OS... and other things)

Late 1998 -- and that wasn't exactly their reason.  Mostly they just didn't
see the size of the audience as being large enough to justify the book.  If
you look at the languages that they do publish Nutshell style books
about... Java, Perl, Python... it seems clear that all of them have a much
larger user base than Squeak.  So I think that was more the reason.

Ironically, the book I did finally wind up working on for them probably has
a much smaller current user base than Squeak (Jython), but a quite large
potential user base.

Noel, who wants to thank you for giving me my first public chance to plug...