MIDI timing?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Oct 12 03:42:54 UTC 2001

>Hello:
>   I'm thinking about writing a midi drum/step sequencer application
>in squeak, due to the nice user interfaces and ease of coding (I hope?)
>My question is, how accurate can I expect the timing to be? I know windows
>isn't so hot with MIDI as it is. Has anyone worked with something like this
>before?
>
>Thanks,
>David

I think David Smith looked at this. On the mac the timing is set via
the system clock at the point when data is read from the serial
interface into the buffer, which happens sometimes after the data
actually is generated and receive and noticed by the VM. If you have
USB, then lets enter yet more milliseconds. Can't speak for windows,
but I've been told relying on precise timing on the mac is a
dangerous viewpoint. This isn't to say you couldn't get better
numbers, but that would require some C code changes.