Message passing rather than object orientation

Justin Walsh jwalsh at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 13 05:31:53 UTC 2001

Hi Ken!
Mmmm? All this "revolutionary" and "radical" stuff sounds interesting.
When talking to my Aboriginal friend about it he just smiles and continues
painting. He mutters something which sounds like "..and this too shall
pass". He says it all the time?

I wish I could get to read some of those old papers I might gain insight and
acceptance to the Smalltalk8o "old boys" network and learn a lot more to
boot.
I guess this is the way it done: earn a reputation, slowly, slowly.

For what it is worth: in the late eighties this "revolutionary" thought,
grabbed me too.
I enrolled in a  course in 5gl languages, binary relationship and semantic
modeling ( Dr Debenham and Montgomery), University of Technology Sydney,
thinking this might be just what the doctor ordered.
It was a great three weeks. Prolog impressed me. Sounded a lot like those
Concurrent Constraint Programming Languages you mention Ken. Please tell me
more!
I was less impressed with Smalltalk than with Prolog, feeling that Smalltak
was too much like a "very clever" procedural language.
I rated Smalltalk as being closer to a 4.5gl, than 5gl: great for treatment
of information and data. Knowledge? No.
The Prolog (I think you are refering to) seemed short on physical strength:
gigantic head, spindly body, no arms and legs. Smalltalk, like Arno with a
pin head.
I hope my silly analogy hasn't upset anyone.
I'll learn reverence as I go along I suppose: when I learn the order of
importance.
We down under are known for our lack of reverence.
An english guy once told me why aussies never tip the cap as a sign of
respect.
It's because it is too difficult to do while the arms are shackled to the
waist.
Or we wear thongs all the time because we haven't been taught how to tie
shoe laces.

Here is a serious straight faced question. Set the alarm it will take some
time getting to it.

Ever since the Japanese Industry in 1982 chose Prolog (not Lisp) as the
prefered Language to take them into the nineties and beyond (still on the
launch pad), it has been left to the europeans particularly the Spanish (and
I thought that all they did was torment cattle) to develop Prolog.
It still doesn't fit the Arno model yet, but with the introduction of OO
into Prolog is quickly catching up.
Now in the early eighties, a Mike Teng Prolog (long before I had even heard
of it) turned up in Digitalk Smalltalk/V and V286 ( I have a copy and love
it).
About the time of the Digitalk demise and V286's adoption by ParcPlace,
Prolog was carefully removed and discarded.
Smalltalk/V286 became Smalltalk Express(for windows), another victim of dll
attack.
Whilst looking through the Squeak Swiki a few years ago: 2.7 squeaks (Squeak
time).
I discovered Prolog. What a surprise! K. Bolot had done the port to Squeak.
There was one other entry called Picoverse. I was very impressed with his
insight. I think he has subsequently gone mad and hung himself.
I prefer taking the P..s out of  "important " people, to hanging myself.
Any way another visit to the Swiki and yes the dust is getting thicker on
Squeak Prolog.
Of course Prolog will not guarantee Squeak an intelligence for that is
impossible. No language will achieve that.  To achieve success with AI one
has to know what I is in the first place.
If Squeak ever gets a brain, the big question is, will it be dead.

Ah! to the question!:
Does anyone have an answer to any thing above?
Just a squeak will do.
Yours
Cheerfully
Justin