Trouble building Mac VM under MPW 3.5

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Oct 15 06:07:56 UTC 2001

>This is probably more of a MacOS development question than it is a
>Squeak question. I'd be grateful for any help from the few of you
>that know this area.

Mmm if you are at OOPSLA, then  you should catch me and ask, however
if you aren't there then I have some details for you.

First you are missing a number of libraries, you need the

opentransport libraries

OpenTransportLIb
OpenTptInetPPC.o
OpenTptInernetLib
OpenTransportExtnPPC.o

If you do not have these stub libraries then you might need to get
Apple's Open Transport SDK, but I think these libraries are now in
the 3.4 interfaces package.

quicktime libraries
QuickTimeLib

You might also need the PowerMgrLib

>#if !defined ( __MPW__ ) &&  !defined( __APPLE__ ) && !defined( __MACH__)

This is definition for MPW and for OS-X I thought ftruncate was
defined for MPW if not then you need to change the code to ensure
ftruncate gets called and it's meaningful for MPW. the issue of
course is how the mpw  unix file pointer resolves to a file reference
so you can issue the mac os truncate command. Or does MPW have a
truncate command hidden somewhere that isn't called ftruncate.