How to learn Squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 16 23:02:27 UTC 2001

> I followed the link  List of Comanche swikis:
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/swiki/4
> I followed the link under full listing links: http://pbl.cc.gatech.edu/:
> I visited the page swikis on pbl.cc
> I then look in swikis that have more then 100 pages
> (on the main page of sedegree (141) was the word assessment, that is hot in
> Holland)

Okay.... I think most people would find current Squeak material before
you stumbled upon out of date information this way!  In particular,
finding Swikis by listing all swikis on a site will get you all kinds of
random stuff!

> .... Assessment Discussion on http://pbl.cc.gatech.edu/sedegree/116
> We spent the major portion of 10/28/98 talking about assessment.

Oh yeah, this was a while back.  Georgia Tech was thinking of splitting
its computer science program into separate "computer science" and
"software engineering" degrees.  After all, it seem that most students
are planning to work as some sort of software developer, not become a
researcher.  Ultimately, the plan failed, but we had a fun time putting
together that proposal!

> A good way to think about assessment is the GQM model: goals, questions,
> metrics:
>
> - what are the goals of the lesson/practicum?
> - what types of questions are appropriate?
> - what metrics can we use to assess students based on their respones?

Ah yes, I remember now.  Well one thread of the proposal was that the
program would be very practical: students would actually *do* lots of
programming, and a bigger chunk of their assessment would be based on
how well they are doing with that programming.  Figuring out exactly how
to grade people no their programs -- without hampering their desire to
experiment -- was difficult!

Ah well.  Some of the ideas survived for the main CS degree, so it
wasn't a total waste.

-Lex