[BUG] (IMHO) Change Sorter,ctrl/cmd-x can delete the class *from the system*!!

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 17 17:07:22 UTC 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Andreas Raab wrote:

> > It would be good to hear some other opinions on this!
>
> I think the crucial point here is that many (most?) people associate CMD-x
> with a generic delete gesture in the context of the tool they're in rather
> than as a specific delete gesture for this particular life entity.

That's *exactly* what happened. I assumed it was deleteing the class *from
the change set*.

By analogy, I don't expect selecting the text 'SystemWindow' in a
*Workspace* and then cmd-x-ing it would delete the *class* (even though,
if I *inspect* that bit of text, I get the class!)

So, yes Scott, the menu items are well worded. Wonderful.

But I *didn't* check the menu for this. I didn't even *know* you could
delete the class from the system from a change sorter. I see the utilitie
*post facto*, but I thought, "look, there's only one 'delete' operation in
a change sorter, so it might well be bound to cmd-x".

Given the catastrophic hosing that might ensure, I really think a bit
*more* coservatism is in order :)

> If it's the first, then it should really delete the changes and not the
> method itself in a change sorter, but should in fact delete the method in a
> browser.

That is how I was reading it.

Some sort of specific warning (along the lines of Andreas'
suggesting) would be useful. The *warning* message isn't as clear as the
menu item.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.