I'm a beginner who has never used Squeak. Please Help.

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 17 17:19:57 UTC 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Alan Kay wrote:

[snip]
> Not exactly. But I've been wanting to have dual tutorials (html *and*
> in Squeak) for a lot of the etoy stuff -- if only to make it easier
> for folks who are trying to understand what we are doing. This time I
> decided to do the html versions first, and then do the Squeak version.

Heh. In the next issue of SqueakNews, I list some desiderata for my
Quickie HTML editor (for the Squeak Tweaks column):

"More ambitiously, but along these lines, it would be nice if the HTML
editor became more an "active essay" editor...allowing me to compose
GeeMailMorph like active essays (when run in Squeak) that translate well
to HTML. While there may be lossage in the downtranslation, the editor
should help me make choices that minimize the disruption of those
changes."

Didn't quite make it to that point yet, but next column, maybe! :)

I've already incorporated a somewhat better HTMLization of methods (based
on some BertCode(tm)) which I'll be sending out in a few days.

Rogar Whitney's class's Morphic Swiki (ObjectWeb?) did downtranslation to
GIF when hit with a non-Squeak browser. That's a little *too* down for my
tastes! But it suggests some approaches to dealing with embedded morphs
(er..an approach: downtranslate them to gif! :)).

There's also a bunch that can be done with plain ole DHTML, see:

	http://swiki.gsug.org:8888/browser/

Finally, SVG is *really* promising for this sort of thing, moreso, IMHO,
than Flash. I've been playing a little bit with SVG in the Amaya browser,
and it's sorta fun to tweak a bit of xml and see the picture change.

Anyhoo, so many Projects, so little bandwidth...

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.