OOpsla and modular squeak

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Oct 19 10:52:35 UTC 2001

> Hi, I'm sorry you could not make it because of some silly
> cancelation. Missed having you there. I did talk to some of the
> leaders in the community about the modular squeak issue, and Joseph
> did get to present to Dan (mind not in a one on one setting, but at
> least Dan did attend) Dan told me after he respects Joseph work and
> it's not as big or as complicated as he thought.
;)

But this is just a model about code representation and packaging (not a
scoping mechanism). So I can understand that Dan and other want to build
a namespace, ...... thing.

> However my
> understanding, which is limited of the Visualworks bof is that those
> people and the GemStone folks really get it.

I wish have would have been there.....

> Therefore I'd suggest
> you make the Visualworks & GemStone modular solution a camp smalltalk
> cross platform project and use STORE to provide the inter
> communication. In some respect as Dan told me "the community needs to
> decide what is best" We should just continue working on it.

I'm planning to continue to work on Ginsu so this is good to know that
people liked it.

Stef