Class Comments (was Re: Couple Small Questions)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Oct 19 19:59:11 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Friday 19 October 2001 03:09 am, Ed Heil wrote:
>
> > Anyway, one question is about AlignmentMorphs.  I understand these are
> > obsolete, and have been replaced by the "layout" options in a vanilla
> > morph?
>
> All the alignment stuff was moved into Morph; you're correct. The only thing
> that AlignmentMorphs do is attempt to maintain compatibility with old code
> that used them.
>
> This means for many applications that you may not need the extra layer of
> AlignmentMorphs if all they were doing is alignment.

It would be good to have a class comment in AlignmentMorph with words to this effect, to prevent continued confusion about this.  Maybe it could also explain what kind of aligning is now supported in Morph vs. what was in AlignmentMorph.

If people want to submit class comments such as these as [ENH]ancements, we (the harvesters) will try to get them incorporated.

(By the way, if someone wants to use a morph to contain a row of other morphs and which doesn't do anything else, should an AlignmentMorph still be used for this, or just an instance of Morph (or RectangleMorph)?)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com