let's ANSIfy!

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 22 00:40:06 UTC 2001

Eric Scharff <Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Lex Spoon wrote:
>
> > [proposal to continue ANSIfication work snipped]
>
> Not knowing anything about how the ANSI standard is different from the
> Smalltalk we all know and love, this sounds like a good opportunity for
> the Modules system.  That way, ANSI compatibility can be loaded when
> needed and unloaded if not desired.  If there are language wars about
> whether the ANSI approach is the "right way" to do things, Modules would
> help shelter users from undesired side effects.

As far as I know, there are no deep incompatibilities between ANSI and
Squeak.  It's just that ANSI often names things differently.  For two
real examples, #argumentCount versus #numArgs, and #substrings versus
#subStrings.

Also, there are a few classes in ANSI that Squeak doesn't have.  e.g.,
Duration, DateAndTime, and ScaledDecimal.

-Lex